The Injection Molding Process Engineer provides Engineering support and optimization improvements on all new and existing molding programs. The engineer will develop processes by establishing injection molded cycles of new and existing molds. The engineer will also define pre and post molded processes for components to optimize efficiencies, yields and productivity. This individual will provide engineering support to production by troubleshooting injection molding processes and tooling, and by defining mold maintenance requirements.
Job Duties and Requirements
- New Product Development: Support the product development process by assisting the program teams as necessary to ensure successful product launches
- Participate in design review meetings for initial evaluation of part and mold design during project kick off
- Responsible for the mold validation process, including set-up, troubleshooting, process monitoring, and validation
- Processing and Troubleshooting: Provide integral support to the production floor by monitoring and troubleshooting production processes
- Work with Engineering, Quality, and Production teams to identify, analyze, and correct and production related problems
- Responsible for mold set ups, changeovers, and process optimization
- Continuous Improvement: Participate in interdepartmental projects critical for the continuous improvement of production related activities
- Mentorship and training junior set up and process technicians
- Continuous improvement of existing processes using DOE and other methods to increase efficiencies
- Works with the Engineering team to resolve technical tooling and process problems associated with both new and existing tooling
- Scientific approach to problem solving machine issues. Tracks statistical data and utilizes SPC to continuously monitor and improve the efficiency of the molding operations.
- Participates in 5S initiatives and cost reduction opportunities
- Assist in continuous improvement of Company work force by training Process Technicians and Mold Technicians on efficient machine operation and set up techniques
- Documentation: Creation and ownership of process related paperwork
- Creation of machine, work cell, and process data for stable and repeatable production
- Assists with corrective actions to resolve non-conformances as root causes are identified
- Assure that all developed processes adhere to ISO 9001:2015 standards
- Perform all duties in compliance with Company policy, with Safety is the first consideration
- Other projects and tasks as assigned.
Skills / Qualifications
- RJG Certified Master Molder
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Polymer Engineering or related engineering field
- Minimum of 4 years of working knowledge of thermoplastic injection molding. Experience with Arburg injection molding machines is a plus
- Working knowledge of plastic technology with emphasis on molding, SPC, DOE and GD&T
- Detailed knowledge of plastic mold and part design
- Experience with SolidWorks or other comparable 3D modeling software
- Proficiency with MS Office software suites (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Excellent communication and record-keeping skills
- Heavy Work – Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and / or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and / or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature change.
- The worker is subject to noise: There is sufficient noise to cause a worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- The worker is subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- The worker is subject to oils: There is air and / or skin exposure to oils and other cutting fluids.