The Blow Molding Process Engineer provides process engineering expertise and support on all new and existing blow molding programs. The Process Engineer is a key member of the molding team responsible for new product development, processing and troubleshooting, continuous improvement, and documentation.
Job Duties and Requirements
- New Product Development: Support the product development process by assisting the program teams as necessary to ensure successful product launches
- Participate in design review meetings for initial evaluation of part and mold design during project kick off
- Responsible for the mold validation process, including set-up, troubleshooting, process monitoring, and validation
- Processing and Troubleshooting: Provide integral support to the production floor by monitoring and troubleshooting production processes
- Work with Engineering, Quality, and Production teams to identify, analyze, and correct and production related problems
- Responsible for mold set ups, changeovers, and process optimization
- Setup and operate a variety of material handling, molding, finishing, welding and assembly equipment. Examples: mold setup, auxiliary equipment setup and other related molding equipment.
- Continuous Improvement: Participate in interdepartmental projects critical for the continuous improvement of production related activities
- Mentorship and training junior set up and process technicians
- Continuous improvement of existing processes using DOE and other methods to increase efficiencies
- Works with the Engineering team to resolve technical tooling and process problems associated with both new and existing tooling
- Scientific approach to problem solving machine issues. Tracks statistical data and utilizes SPC to continuously monitor and improve the efficiency of the molding operations.
- Participates in 5S initiatives and cost reduction opportunities
- Assist in continuous improvement of Company work force by training Process Technicians and Mold Technicians on efficient machine operation and set up techniques
- Documentation: Creation and ownership of process related paperwork
- Creation of machine, work cell, and process data for stable and repeatable production
- Assists with corrective actions to resolve non-conformances as root causes are identified
- Ensure there are no quality or production interruptions or errors due to a lack of giving or seeking information.
- Assure that all developed processes adhere to ISO 9001:2015 standards
- Perform all duties in compliance with Company policy, with Safety is the first consideration
- Other projects and tasks as assigned.
Skills / Qualifications
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Polymer Engineering or related engineering field
- Minimum of 4 years of working knowledge of thermoplastic blow molding. Experience with Bekum Blow Molding machines is a plus
- Working knowledge of plastic technology with emphasis on molding, SPC, DOE and GD&T
- Detailed knowledge of plastic mold and part design
- Experience with SolidWorks or other comparable 3D modeling software
- Proficiency with MS Office software suites (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Excellent communication and record-keeping skills
- Heavy Work – Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and / or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and / or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature change.
- The worker is subject to noise: There is sufficient noise to cause a worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- The worker is subject to hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- The worker is subject to oils: There is air and / or skin exposure to oils and other cutting fluids.